Thread: Is it possible to put use a phone sim card in a tablet?

Default Is it possible to put use a phone sim card in a tablet?

I was talking to a buddy of mine who is a techie for a phone company and he said that it's not. I put my att sim into a viewsonic viewpad7 (I think that's the one) and it says it has unlocked 3G. I was able to make a phone call but he it's different than using data. He said that if you use data, it may allow you for a little while but the tower will recognize it's not your plan and shut it down.

I was hoping that I'd be able to get a tablet and take it to a show somewhere that doesn't have wifi (I seem to go a lot of places like this with no wifi) and be able to put my att 3G card into it and get data / phone that way without having to purchase another $50/mo data plan.

Is that possible? Is there an android 3.0 device out there that does this? He said what I want is not approved by the FCC and not able to be done.

Man of perfect simplicity Kamui's Avatar

From a technical standards point of view, there is nothing stopping this. If your tablet has a SIM card slot, then it can try to get on a network with that card.

However there's also nothing stopping the carrier from blocking non phones, categorizing it as data-tethering, or a dozen other excuses to block you or charge you more for the use.

so, short answer: it depends on the carrier.

Depending on your phone, you could also tether your tablet to your phone and get 3G that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
    Depending on your phone, you could also tether your tablet to your phone and get 3G that way.
    I think that would cost more money which I was hoping to avoid by simply using the same card I'm already paying for. To me that's like buying a second car to tow my car to work.

I believe ATT charges like 40 or 50 bucks a month to tether, kinda lame. I'm not sure if there is a charge for verizon or not, but our company just distributed the verizon iphone to everyone and we have free unlimited tethering (it could be because we are a corp and worked out a deal with verizon to switch from ATT to them). It's definitely a nice feature as we need to have internet access 24/7 no matter where we are.

Or if you don't want to pay ATT the extra cash, you can jailbreak your ATT iphone an tether for free. Jailbreaking is legal and safe. And although there is a slim, very minute chance you can brick your phone, I think I may have read 1 post online where someone bricked theirs out of the thousands of people who didn't. Is there a possibility, yeah, does it really happen, not so much. I like the iphone, but there are things about it that make me mad, and jailbreaking takes most of those things away.
    "It's not the fear of what's beyond.. It's just that I might not respond." - Steve Harris

That's why it said it depends on your phone. I flashed a new ROM on my phone that gives me USB tethering, wifi hotspot tethering and bluetooth tethering. As long as you don't abuse it or get anywhere close to your bandwidth caps there's very little to no danger of your provider finding out or charging you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
    That's why it said it depends on your phone.
    Samsung Captivate (ATT).

The Captivate (also what I have) is extremely easy to flash a new ROM to and there are many very good ROMs and kernels out there. If you like, I can try to put together a list of resources to walk you through the process.

What exactly does flashing to a new rom do? What benefits will I have? what happens if my phone breaks, like the glass or just stops working, will they still fix it or will I have to buy a new one?

BTW, does your GPS work worth a crap? Mine doesn't and for some reason I can't 2.1update 1.

The issues with the Froyo 2.2 update never being released by Samsung/AT&T is what motivated me to try flashing third-party ROMs. That's a long running mess that I got tired of waiting for (and I don't think it will ever happen).

What flashing your Captivate will get you is numerous. I use the Cognition ROM. The things I've seen from it include:

Significantly faster/smoother performance
    Reduced battery drain and an accurate battery monitor
    Removal of all the AT&T bloatware
    Camera (take picture with power button)
    GPS Fix
    Tethering (USB, Wifi hotspot, Bluetooth)
    The HSPA icon when in use

There's a lot more, of course, but these are the big things for me.

If something happens to your phone and you have to return it, you can flash it back to stock very easily, though I think that can still be detected. That said, I'm not sure the people in the store will notice or even check. If they turn the phone on, it'll look just like it did when you first bought the phone. If the phone isn't working at all, then there's nothing they can check to see that you were using some other ROM without hooking it up to some more serious hardware (I'm guessing). In the end, I think you approach this as a risk. If something does happen to your phone that requires you to take it back to the story, I would go in with the expectation that I won't get a replacement and if they do replace it, then great, but I know by flashing a different ROM that I run that risk.